Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Recover Green Roofs!


I had a great experience yesterday meeting the very cool dudes of Recover Green Roofs. I heard about co-founders Mark Winterer and Brandon Shea via a video a friend posted on my facebook of a project they worked on in Dorchester, building a rooftop garden for the restaurant The Ledge.

I went to check out Recover Green Roofs yesterday in their office based in olive square in somerville. For those of you who haven't had a chance to make it over to The Fringe Movement, you should really check it out. Its an artist collective of workspaces tucked right behind union square. There were so many cool things going on in addition to Recover, I was struck by amazing energy. Check out a little of what's going on.

Fringe from Paper Fortress on Vimeo.

Mark showed me some of the project they have worked on and the process they go through to build and design the gardens.



They told me about a potential upcoming project. They are having discussions with downtown tapas restaurant Toro about a food roof, but it is still in the preliminary stages. Its super exciting to think about a premiere downtown restaurant having a rooftop garden to grow its vegetables! So you know I will be following this project and photographing the building of the garden! Mark and Brandon were really excited about having the project documented as well.


Mark showed me a company they grows designs in plants starting in a green house and then eventually can be hung vertically on a wall!


Plus they had some really cool terrariums. Have I just found the coolest thing going on in Somerville? I think maybe.....

1 comment:

  1. Jena, you blog and inspiration continues! Yea! Thanks for putting up these pics and posts, I learned that this world continues to amaze and reward those willing to take the journey... Your biggest fan aka Dad

    ReplyDelete