Friday, March 5, 2010

The foods I lusted after today 3/4/10

-Cheeseburger while adam was eating one next to me in class
-Some sort of processes snack when chris asked us on our break if we were going to the store
-Coffee when anna said she was going to starbucks
-Grilled cheese while we were sitting in brueggers while carlie ate hers
- Spaghetti and Tomato Sauce during a lecture in class, also again when I ate plain meatballs for dinner
-An orange while Gabby ate one during class, also again later looking at the peels sitting on her desk
-Indian food while anna talked about going out with justin after class for indian food
-Popcorn while thinking about going to the silhouette which serves free popcorn
-crackers and cookies while in the library where there was food for a reception
-Grapes when the left over food from the reception was put at the front desk that I walked by on my break from class


So all except for one time, I only craved food when I saw other people eating it, talking about it, or saw the food itself. This was not always the case. I used to crave foods all the time. I think I'm becoming more adjusted to my diet for sure. The things i miss the most are fruit and tomato sauce/pasta. I'm living alright without the processed foods. I'm almost done week 5 here and I've been thinking more about what it will be like when my 60 days end. I think I will try to keep eating locally as much as possible but without the complete off limits of everything else. One thing I really feel I will change is local meat. The terrible conditions the animals are kept in basically packed into barns so close they can't move, living in their own excrement, and never seeing sunshine or grass their whole life. Also something interesting is that grass fed animals are actually healthier meat. When they are grass fed, instead of grain fed which has never been natural to their diet, the Cholesterol is actually the kind that is good for you instead of bad. I thought that was wildly interesting, and make a lot of sense if you think about how what we eat affect our health, that it would affect the animals health by what they eat.

I've learned a lot in general from reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbra Kingsolver, which I highly recommend.

Despite all the awesomeness I still get pissed I can eat free food. I used to be the queen of taking advantage of free food: free pizza at school for lunch, wine at openings, snacks at receptions!

1 comment: