Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day 1!

So day 1 is almost over, and going good so far!

I started out with cherrios for breakfast in efforts to use up the milk i still have. I think in order to not be wasteful I will eat the remaining perishable items I have but I don't have a ton since I haven't gone grocery shopping in about a week. I have left some milk, yogurt, and cheese.

Lunch- See video

Dinner - Butternut Squash Soup with local apples, local onions, local butternut squash, left over milk, and oil (bah! will be making my own butter once i find local cream!)

Here is what I got on my foraging adventure today:

1. City Feed and Supply - 66 Boylston St. Jamaica Plain

- 1 turnip from Enterpise Farm in South Deefield, MA - 97.5 miles

- 1 organic butternut squash from Joe Czajkowski Farms Hadley, MA - 107 miles (I didn't actually know where Haldey was, so my bad)

- Apple Cider from Box Mill Farms Stow, MA - 23.7 miles

-Eggs from The Country Hen Hubbardston, MA - 63.9 miles

- Tofu from 21st Century Foods Inc. in Jamaica Plain, MA - 4.2 miles

2. Don Ottos's (formerly Lionette's) 577 Tremont St. Boston MA

-3 onions from Long Plain Farm in Whately, MA - 107 miles (oops)

-2 pounds ground beef from River Rock Farm in Brimfield, MA - 60.9 miles

3. Foodie's Urban Market- 1421 Washington St. Boston MA

-I went in search of Greathill Diary but alas found none.

4. South and Formaggio's

-Plain Low fat yogurt from grass fed cows in Sidehill Farm Ashfield, MA - 115 miles (better learn my geography)

5. Whole Foods - Brighton MA

3 Apples from Clark Brothers Orchard in Ashfield, MA - 115 miles (it was MA right? guess not close enough)

2 Hydroponic Tomatoes from American Hydroponics in Hopkinton, MA -27.9 miles

So some thoughts about today: I don't know where or how far places are in Mass. I asked and some people were helpful while others were not. They were really great at Don Ottos. In fact I ended up having a great conversation with Erin who's fiance just bought the store last week. When I was inquiring about how far away places are she asked if I was doing a 100 mile diet, so I explained my project. She suggest I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbra Kingsolver (which i started last night in fact!) and when she found out I had been photographing on local farms she told me they really need art for the store and for advertising and wants to hire me! Good fortune already!

Also- I've never to my knowledge eaten a turnip. Or have any clue how to cook one. But I will try and figure it out! Stay tuned...I feel like I'm on Iron Chef and turnip is my mystery ingredient haha. I wanted to gather more food today but I got really hungry so I had to come home to make some food, and didn't make it out for another round. I have a busy week of school so that should be interesting. But i have a TON of beef to eat :) I also got lost several times. JP and the south end are not my friend yet, but they will be! I hope to improve my navigational skills during this experiment as well.

You might have noticed I have titled the blog (and the project) Performing Local. I have become rather influenced and interested in performance art as of late and I am thinking of this project as partly performative. I really like the ideas of performance art to make art more experiential and employing the body as a site. For me this project is very much about the experiential and will affecting by body in a big way - emotionally and physically. I am interested in the body as a sculptural element. How will the food I eat change my body? So I will be weighing myself weekly on mondays and noting how I am feeling.

So today I started with weighing myself : 151 pounds on day 1 February 1st.

Also I must have been anxious on some level because i bit all my nails off without even realizing it (not a habit I usually have)

About an hour ago I had my first social implication when my roommates went to Darwin's for sandwhiches, which sounded reaaaaly tasty, but I stayed home to cook my butternut squash soup for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment