Saturday, February 6, 2010

The night before local eating starts!!

So its the night before I start my local food challenge. As part of my senior thesis project I will be eating only food within 100 miles of boston. I've been working on a project exploring local food production since august and now I'm taking a plunge into my subject matter. Instead of merely observing and photographing others I am myself participating in my subject matter. Other than walking the talk, I am very interested in translating the experience into aesthetic objects. I hope to explore and challenge the possibility and popularity of eating local in the middle of winter in a state that is not a huge producer of local food.

I have purposely not done a ton of practical research as to make the challenge and search of the food part of the experience. But I am picturing myself being deliriously hungry when i wake up trying to figure out where in the world to get food. So i did a little research tonight of some stores around boston to go to and how far some of the local farms are so when i go to get food I know what is local (not being a mass native I'm not entirely familiar with all towns in a 100 mile radius)

I think it might be sort of hard at first but I think i will be able to find, grow, or make a lot of things (ICE CREAM?!?) I think i have subconsciously been indulging in preparation (this week: christopher's twice, pizza, anna's taqueria, zaftig's, the friendly toast), but i anticipate that while local food may be a little bit pricer, I will save a lot of money not eating and buying coffee. Its getting late and I have a big day tomorrow! I excited and terrified!

Check back tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment