Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Update

Hello all,

So just a general kind of update (I do need to catch up on logging what I have been eating)

I;ve been going a bit crazy without any sort of treats. From my research, a lot of people that do a challenge like this pick on thing they get to have, so I'm officially picking chocolate: in moderation, and produced in the best means possible (ie fair trade, locally made). So I'm polishing off a fat bar of Equal Exchange Chocolate right now feeling a million times better. I thought it was made in Bridgewater, MA but upon further examination is actually made in Switzerland and distributed in mass, so I will be finding different chocolate in the future. Taza chocolate is made in cambridge or champlain chocolates in vermont.

This leads me to making a draft of rules for my manifesto:

-My limit of how far my food will come from will be upped to 200 miles to makes everything is covered, but I will try to get the bulk of food from within 100 miles.
-Chocolate is my 1 luxury item - I'm willing to go with coffee if I can have chocolate
-Since I found flour from vermont today (139 miles away) I will try to make my own bread, but this will call for the allowance of yeast (unless anyone has any idea is local yeast exists? I asked at city feed they other day and they looked at me like I was crazy)
-Olive Oil: I don't know how I can make salad dressing without oil.
-Spices I already have are ok - I don't think not using spices I already have will make any impact (I am using salt from maine though!)
-I will use Maple Syrup as my sugar. I currently have a large jug that is from home in vermont (just over 200 miles) but i brought it back with me so no extra travel occurred and Maple Syrup is so expensive, it would be crazy to buy more before finishing what i have.

I think that pretty much covers everything I have been eating and give me a few more options, except some oatmeal that is from maine (300ish miles away) which I will finish up and seek an alternative.

Pretty much all the food I have gotten far has been from small grocers, has been a bit limiting and expensive so I'm going to try to buy direct in bulk from the farm Zach gets his CSA from. Hopefully that will give me some new options. I'm dying for some sweet potatoes and cheese!!

In other news, my garlic is coming along miraculously!! A second shoot appeared yesterday and the first shoot in about two inches! More progress in the last 4 or 5 days then all my other plants! I also planted some beans!

quick update of what i have been eating

Sunday:
Oatmeal with milk
Toast with butter and honey
burger with fresh Mozzarella

Monday:
Toast and butter
Apple
Salad with Tomatoes
Spicy Bean Soup with Mushrooms, Onions, Beef

Today:
Toast with butter
Salad with tomato and onion
Left over Bean Soup
1 large Bar of Chocolate

1 comment:

  1. hehe.. one LARGE bar of chocolate.
    did you figure out the ben & jerry's dilemma yet?

    ReplyDelete