Wednesday, February 10, 2010

yessss ice cream!

So third time is charm! Check out the videos!


So we ended up using a tea ball to strain haha. Kate was lovely enough to help.



I'm pretty pumped. Thanks so much to kate for helping me and shane for his ice cream maker! I also made oatmeal cookies!! I used all local ingredients (flour, oatmeal, butter, eggs, salt) except the sugar because I forgot I left my maple syrup at Kate's.

Also I made sour dough starter which will take a week to make but will not need any yeast from mexico! Instead of using a packet of yeast to make the bread rise, adding flour and water daily will mix in the yeast that naturally exists in the air! The interesting thing about this is that is taste different if you make in different places! Thanks Margaret for helping me out with this!

So with bread, cookies and ice cream under my belt (literally, my tummy hurts a bit after all the sweets today!) im feeling more optimistic about making things! I plan to try making ravioli!!

So today i ate:

Breakfast - Two eggs (from Lally Farms in Hanover, MA - 30 miles), toast (made at Clear Flour Bakery in Brookline, MA - 1.5 miles), butter ( from High Lawn Farm in Lee, MA - 121 miles)

Cookies for lunch (Flour from King Arthur Flour in Norwich, VT - 139 miles, Oats from Aurora Mill and Farm in Linneus, ME - 368 miles, Butter from High Lawn Farm in Lee, MA - 121 miles, Eggs from Lally Farms in Hanover, MA - 30 miles, Salt from Maine Salt Company in Marshfield, ME - 326 miles, baking soda not local, white and brown sugar not local)

Left over Bean Soup (Beans from Baer's Best in South Hamilton, MA - 22.8 miles, Beef from Hardwick Beef in Hardwick, MA - 71 miles (but its shipped to vt for slaughter), left over mushrooms, onion from Whately, MA - 107 miles)

A few bites of ice cream (Milk from Thatcher Diary in Milton, MA - 15 miles [Diary actually comes from four hours away in new hampshire], Heavy Cream from Hatchland Farms in North Haverhill, NH - 158 miles, Eggs from Lally Farms in Hanover, MA - 30 miles, pinch of salt, Maple Syrup from Bristol, VT - 208 miles)

I had a great conversation with Ben Sloat's Sophomore Concepts Class about the project, thanks for having me and asking great questions!

1 comment:

  1. Yay ice cream! I love watching your perseverance... trial and error woot! The new blogspot looks great, too. <3

    ReplyDelete